Here

By : Forum Member
Published 31st May 2018 |
Read latest comment - 8th June 2018

So last February we moved from London to Holbeach..... And hired 3  vehicles to do the move, I already had out on hire and just additionally hired out 2 Luton vans..... I informed the hire company that I was moving and gave them my new address, I also informed the DVLA, who sent a new photo driving licence to the new address...... Now photo driving licences have a 10 year lifespan and then you have to renew them by paying a fee and updating your photo..... if you change your address the licence is replaced, but the 10year renewal date remains the same, so my 10 year renewal was due in September last year. So I had 2 new licences last year..... Both sent to the new address....

Now 1 of the hired vehicles we had for 14 months, 1 for 2 months and the other for 6 months...... there was at least several people here family and friends who could and did legally drive these vehicles.... two of the vans were caught speeding by cameras,  nothing excessive 7-8mph above the limit.... The police contacted the hire company for the hirers details (me) which they gave..... but they gave the old address rather than the new....... Here is where my current nightmare starts, but I have absolutely no idea it is happening.... I then have 28 days to inform the police who the drivers are, but I can’t as I don’t know this is happening.... So the police prosecute me and I get MS90 conviction and 6 penalty points and a fine of £660 and I know nothing about this..... Fast forward to September and my 10 year renewal licence is due and spend £21.50 getting this done at the post office..  2 days later the new licence arrives, you now no longer receive the paper part and if you want to check driving categories you have to go online.... which I did, there is also a box to click for endorsements / penalties..... Out of curiosity I clicked this box..... was I shocked to see these 6 penalty points and the £660 fine....So I ring the DVLA, they cannot do anything as it’s a court matter, I then ring the courts..... and I haven’t been prosecuted once but twice and I now have 12 points and 2 fines of £660 which have now spiralled to nearly £2000 for non payment.... it gets even better... I am then informed by the courts that I need to ring the DVLA again and inform them of the additional points I’ve somehow accumulated.... which I do..... The DVLA then informs me, that inadvertently they’ve issued me with 2 driving licences, which is why they are only showing 6 penalty points.... I was then told that until I go to Lincoln magistrates court..... and make a statuary declaration I’m banned from driving..... Strangely both the courts and DVLA can see the funny side of this and know none of this mess is my fault.... As I said I’ve had no idea any of this has happened, yet I’ve been driving my own vehicle during this time..... had there been an accident, my insurance company would have null and voided my policy and I would have been hammered by the courts..... The funniest thing is that they want to know who was driving these vehicles 14 months ago..... let me see.....

Thanks,
Barney
Comments

Barney you need to write a book....   Life has certainly been dull without you 

So is it all sorted now? It's clearly an admin cockup? Or have you now got to fight and prove your innocence? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I've been told the same thing and I wish I could

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Oh my days Barney, only YOU could this happen to!!! So they DO see the funny side and you won't get the points? What a total fiasco!

Just come out of Lincoln magistrates court and once I’d explained everything to the prosecution, it was all thrown out of court......  As Enterprise vehicle rentals say in their current adverts....... the customer is always right...!

Thanks,
Barney

Just come out of Lincoln magistrates court and once I’d explained everything to the prosecution, it was all thrown out of court......  As Enterprise vehicle rentals say in their current adverts....... the customer is always right...!

Justice for Barney! Well done. 

Weirdly the DVLA gave me no written notice of these points, therefore when renewing my own insurance I had no reason to inform my insurance company....... I dread to think what would have happened had there been an accident, as I’m guessing the insurance company would have cancelled the policy once they had stumbled across this.....

Thanks,
Barney

Yeah that is terrifying.... But thankfully it's over. And breathe. 

and that's the title and cover for your book... "12 penalty points" 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

and that's the title and cover for your book... "12 penalty points" 

Baggsy being the proofreader for Barney's book. What a read that would be. 

This Thread is now closed for comments