Is everyone offended by everything?

By Steve.Richardson : Administrator
Published 5th June 2020 | Last comment 10th June 2020
Comments
Yep can't agree more , but it's hard to get a education when schools are burnt down”

But schools in the UK are are not generally burnt down.... most are all inclusive except those that self exclude themselves from mainstream education either for religious or because of gender....... I had an absolutely appalling education, nothing to do with me or even the teachers...... all to do with crap parentage and the UK’s so called care system........ I’m going back to the 60s here, so no national curriculum, cane still in use... and all the lads I went to school with, like me left with absolutely nothing.....many of my former school mates have spent their entire lives bumming around on the dole with the aid of drink and drugs...... some of us put ourselves through education having left school, in my case in the army and night school... I can only comment on the UK... But there are so many opportunities for people to get educated here, for absolutely everyone irrespective of race, religion or gender......... And it really grates me when people go around with the “ poor me” attitude in this country having not done anything to better themselves..... You only have to look and Parliament to see how things have changed in the UK...

Thanks,
Barney

I suppose I should stop South Africa lol

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

The problem is you can't understand the perspective of the disadvantages you have when you're a person of colour unless you are one. Being white isn't a cake walk, but in the UK is rarely going to disadvantage you, but any other colour will. That's a fact. There's statistics a plenty to back that up. 

Yes people have other battles and woes and disadvantages but the current issue at hand and the campaign for Black Lives Matter is highly important in my mind. Changes need to be made at the core of society to rid us of the systemic racism that is there. 

It's uncomfortable and I know you're all apparently in denial, but please read up about it and learn what it's really like for people who aren't white in this country. Even well educated, well spoken people. 

Don't get defensive about it, use this as an opportunity to listen and learn. That's what I'm doing. 

But there are so many opportunities for people to get educated here, for absolutely everyone irrespective of race, religion or gender......... And it really grates me when people go around with the “ poor me” attitude in this country having not done anything to better themselves..... You only have to look and Parliament to see how things have changed in the UK...

Couldn't agree more. There are always ways to self improve, regardless of the start you had in life, good or bad, regardless of any obstacles, race or any lack of or perceived privilege. This doesn't stop, regardless of your age.

The bowler hat businessman is a stereotype consigned to history and US sitcoms. I work with business owners from all backgrounds and cultures. Colour is irrelevant, the story to why they started their business is far more interesting, and how they overcame the variety of challenges. Racial issues may be a factor, as may be sexism or other issues. But the very fact anyone has that opportunity shows the type of modern Britain we live in, something we should all be proud of, not want to tear down and be offended all the time.

There is some background racism, in the same way there is background anti-Semitism,  sexism, all manner of weirdos and sickos I don't even want to mention. We are a country of 65 million+ individuals who believe in everything from Gods to Unicorns and everything in between. 

• Have attitudes and opportunities progressed in the last 30 - 40 years? Yep
  • Is Britain is pretty much unrecognisable from attitudes and beliefs from 100 years ago? Yep
  • Are we still evolving for the better? Yep
  • Have we still got some way to go? Yep
  • Do I believe we are a racist society? No
  • Am I proud to be British and everything it stands for? yep

What saddens me is that the actual genuine messages and stories of race-related issues are drowned out in mob action by a bunch of idiots. Disrespecting war memorials, statues or abusing British Police officers will do little to educate. It will simply fuel media stereotyping, escalate tension and be 100% self-destructive. 

• Listen and learn - always, even swinging from centre-right to centre-left!
  • Denial - nope, optimistic, yes
  • Defensive - no, sad, yes. 

The USA has many problems, but we are not joined at the hip. They may be our offspring, but we are completely different cultures, from Policing, use of force, attitudes and opportunities. Let's leave the extreme views over there, not import them.

The UK debate needs to be depolarised and move on from blame, hate and society self-harm, to solutions and the future. This is the journey I still think the UK is on. But let's keep our British principles such as pride and respect, law and order and humour, regardless of where our family originates from, be it Jamaica, Poland or Skegness.

Education and understanding is the key and the solution. So is perspective.

Would I still belly laugh when my mate's turban falls off and he drops to the floor shouting God will strike him down. Yes, because it was obvious humour and he was being funny. No one was offended, no one was being racist.

Black Lives Matter? Course they do, everyone's lives matter. Other than a few right-wing nutjobs and crusty dinosaurs in Gods waiting room, show me anyone who thinks differently? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

The problem is you can't understand the perspective of the disadvantages you have when you're a person of colour unless you are one. Being white isn't a cake walk, but in the UK is rarely going to disadvantage you, but any other colour will. That's a fact. There's statistics a plenty to back that up. 

Yes people have other battles and woes and disadvantages but the current issue at hand and the campaign for Black Lives Matter is highly important in my mind. Changes need to be made at the core of society to rid us of the systemic racism that is there. 

It's uncomfortable and I know you're all apparently in denial, but please read up about it and learn what it's really like for people who aren't white in this country. Even well educated, well spoken people. 

Don't get defensive about it, use this as an opportunity to listen and learn. That's what I'm doing. ”

Ok, I’m listening explain to me the UK’s modern day systemic racism issues...... think people need to stop making excuses for historical issues that happened in the past... at what point do we all move on? When do we stop apologising? When discussing the awful slave labour trade, do we discuss all of it including the black slave owners or just the white slave owners?....... think more people are discriminated against where they live in the uk i.e. North / South divide than the colour of their skin.....

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments