The end for Gaddafi!

By sjr4x4 : Administrator
Published 22nd August 2011 | Last comment 19th September 2011
Comments
Well I think this time we had done a pretty good job. No ground troops have been deployed, but by using aerial bombardment and SAS intelligence we tipped the balance significantly in the rebels favour - enough to allow them to liberate themselves.

No doubt the new regime will remember their friends when rebuilding work and oil contracts are in the offing.

highlandspring

Well I think this time we had done a pretty good job. No ground troops have been deployed, but by using aerial bombardment and SAS intelligence we tipped the balance significantly in the rebels favour - enough to allow them to liberate themselves.

Agreed, was actually pretty shrewd, on the ground it's Libyan liberating Libyan.

At least now we know our new shiny RAF Typhoons work

Found a great way to save the army some cash. Scrap all armored vehicles and buy a job lot of second hand Japanese Pick up trucks, then weld a variety of weapons on the back, including old ground attack rocket pods...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

In years to come, I wonder whether historians will describe Iraq, Libya etc as "the West's oil wars"?

In many respects, Cameron is Blair-lite. We now know we were lied to over Iraq and I suspect we're being told untruths about Libya.

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

It's nothing new really, its just the way things work. I guess it happens all over the world and not just in government. All I can say is that I hope its all coming to an end now so that people can start rebuilding their lives and dealing with the loss of their loved ones. I detest war, and hate what it does to people, and I am not only talking about those involved in the fighting, but the innocent bystanders as well.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

We now know we were lied to over Iraq and I suspect we're being told untruths about Libya.

Oh Linda, after seeing the news last night and all the dodgy MI5 docs that have turned up, how right were you!!

Steve Richardson

A speck of comfort I've got from the Libya "adventure" is that it now seems likely the UK government will have to look harder at the evils it's permitted and colluded with during the "war on terror".

It's good for those in power to remember that the torture victim may be able to hold you to account if he / she gets into power before you die.

I used to feel we had halfway decent governments (OK maybe a bit bumbling and unsuccessful but basically on the right ethical side of the line) and now I don't. I'm horrified that (allegedly in my name - and yours) our "democratic" governments have made us recently international aggressors and co-conspirators in torture, rendition and breaches of international law.

I would love to see Blair, Straw, individuals in MI5 / MI6 et al in the dock for what they've done ... but sadly, I don't think it'll happen.

I know other governments do worse - but that is no comfort to me when I fear my government intends to follow their example.

Rant over ....

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

That guy has been kept in power for FAR too long.

Cut the cord already EU...

diggersjohn33

No doubt the new regime will remember their friends when rebuilding work and oil contracts are in the offing.

The only reason we assisted in the first place. It had nothing whatsoever to do with 'humanitarian effort'.

Eagle

The only reason we assisted in the first place. It had nothing whatsoever to do with 'humanitarian effort'.

Wonder if there are any online marketing contracts going?

My Local Libya. Could plug in a Google translate button, maybe include camel accessories and oil wells as a new category...

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments