Hospitals.

By : Growing Business
Published 11th March 2010 |
Read latest comment - 12th March 2010

Rant Time.
While i fully agree there are some very good hospitals out ther, and all the staff do a good job.
But from time to time i think they get things wrong.
The story starts 12 years ago, my wife broke her back, had metal work put in as time went by she developed alot of back pain.
So visit her consultant and asks for metal work to be taken out. They could not find her papers, and Doc said he was suprised it lasted so long. Anyway he agreed to take it out. all wells you would say. had the Xrays and scans to check everyhting was ok

6 weeks ago, my wife has appointment for op, not at hospital she visits a different one, ok we said. the appointment for pre med, went to that.
then op was cancelled.

New appointment came for op at different hospital, which was back at her usual one, geat we said. anyway day before, my wife just called to check everyhting was ok for next day. Oh its been cancelled did no one tell you, we said no, oh she said. will find out and call you back, 5 hours later and no call. we called them, its ok op is going ahead. great we said.

Now we go of to hospital for op. find reception, they take us to a bed. someone will be with you a minute. all going well up to now.

they came fussing, taking temp, weight, filling loads of forms in, lots of questions which had already been ask at pre med. But hey, they double checking. this is good..Then the dredded gown was put on her, another doc came, put that long needle in hand, you know the one, just a light scratch they say. took lots of blood, left this needle in her, canula or something its called. Then surgeons registra turns up, asks a couple of questions. marks her back with an X to mark the spot of op.

Then drops the bombshell. your op might be cancelled, we dont have the right tools. What tools we ask. he said surgeon would be here soon.

anyway he came along, said, he might not have the right screw driver to undo metal work, as it was made 12 years ago, they no longer use that metal work, gave it up 9 years ago.

so he said we might have to open you up have a look, then close you up. or hope the screw driver i have now fits.

anyway, wife gets back to ward around 3pm, they got metal work out which was good. She was asked 3 times if she would like cup of tea, she never got one, bearing in mind she had nothing to eat from the night before because thats what the letter said, no food from 6pm night before.

her personal belongings were not with her, they were in recovery, took 4.5 hours to get that back. I could do nothing because they would not let me visit till 6.30pm. so not seen her since 10.30am when they took her down.

i called all day to see how she was. kept being told she was in recovery, they would call when she got to ward. still never got phone call.

went to visit tonight, got to ward they said she was on. went to nurse station to ask where her bed was as you do, they had not heard of her, 3 nurses on this station could not tell me where she was, they didnt know. till one nurse walking past caught the name and said OH SHE IS DOWN HERE.

quicker i get her home the better.

anyway, thats my rant. I do also understand if its not keeping with the forum you may delete it.

sean

sean44mc
Comments
anyway, thats my rant. I do also understand if its not keeping with the forum you may delete it.

sean

Your in the rant zone Sean, anything goes here mate!!

Main thing is, is the missus ok?

We recently had a sprog, wasn't straightforward, and I have nothing but admiration and gratitude for the NHS, after witnessing (although terrifying at the time) their professionalism and teamwork.

But... once out of the emergency care and you get on a ward, I think things can be different. My missus had terrible nights where night staff were unsympathetic and unhelpful, only to be thankful of the day shift who were 100% better. Different midwives would offer different advice, causing confusion for new parents, and outwardly dismissing previous colleagues advice. baby eartests were done in a general ward, whike an auxiliary was clattering round emptying bins, and then we were told the test failed... really!!

Its tough, I admire the NHS, and its full of genuinely dedicated professionals, but I think politics gets involved, too many middle managers and daft targets to qualify for different budgets which drives beauracracy and more red tape.

I personally think its time for a radical overhaul, and I urge any political party to have the balls to address it, but alas, thats yet to happen...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Firstly Sean, hope the good lady recovers soon.

My girlfriend is a nurse and bloodyhell she earns her money - she gets attacked by senial ladies, abuse from drugged up patients and then you have the goods old fashioned vomit cleaning up - oh yea its a job i know i couldnt do.

Today she is working what is known as a longday, she started at 7am and im picking her up at 10pm tonight - 15 hours straight! she then will be in work tomorrow at 2pm, finishes at 10pm back in the hospital at 7am Sunday morning - hmm not the kind of hours id like to work.

Full of sympathy with what happend to your wife - the NHS is full of dedicated Nurses working crap hours like above for a pretty poor wage.
The problem is the Nurse now have to be mangers, they cant do what they trained for - they are constantly fighting for bed space & arguing with so called bed managers and then problems arise like it did with your wife. At the end of the day there will always be a case that goes wrong, its how that is handled that really matters.

We waste millions of pounds on different projects, building new "super" hospitals rather than investing in the current buildings and update them.

I know you didnt knock the staff - and im not ranting back, well kind of but not at Sean - its time we took pride in our NHS and make the Government do something about it before its too late and we are all forced to take out Private Health Insurance - this upcoming election vote with your heart and put someone in power that could do something about this sorry state of affairs.

Clive

forum avatarKip FX Design
12th March 2010 11:02 AM
Hope she is all good Sean!

I have to say we are lucky to have the NHS, I guess in the main we do not see what they have to actually do day to day, but my hat off to them on a whole.

. . . However:

When my youngest was born, a few weeks old her eyes were bleeding (it was only blocked tear ducts, but tell that to someone that has never studied medicine and has a 3 week old baby in their arms) after driving around to 3 doctors that couldnt help we finally went to the Leicester A&E and had to wait while a kid of about 13 was having his arm cast removed, I was having kittens, my 3 week old daughters eyes were bleeding and they were more bothered about a lad that had, had his pot on for 8 weeks and just needing cutting off!

I went nuts, they called security, who I informed may need to get a few more if they thought they would get me out of the building whilst my new borns eyes were bleeding, in they end a little old nurse came up, put her hand on my arm and said, its quite common, all she has is blocked ducts and a saline solution would sort it right out!

Why on earth had no-one said this before, it would have diffused the whole thing and I would not have thought that my daughter was in a very bad position!

I know now that she is just evil, her eyes bled much like a virgin mary statue cries, just that Destiny is the anti christ so blood came out not tears!

Firstly Sean, hope the good lady recovers soon.

My girlfriend is a nurse and bloodyhell she earns her money - she gets attacked by senial ladies, abuse from drugged up patients and then you have the goods old fashioned vomit cleaning up - oh yea its a job i know i couldnt do.

Today she is working what is known as a longday, she started at 7am and im picking her up at 10pm tonight - 15 hours straight! she then will be in work tomorrow at 2pm, finishes at 10pm back in the hospital at 7am Sunday morning - hmm not the kind of hours id like to work.

Full of sympathy with what happend to your wife - the NHS is full of dedicated Nurses working crap hours like above for a pretty poor wage.
The problem is the Nurse now have to be mangers, they cant do what they trained for - they are constantly fighting for bed space & arguing with so called bed managers and then problems arise like it did with your wife. At the end of the day there will always be a case that goes wrong, its how that is handled that really matters.

We waste millions of pounds on different projects, building new "super" hospitals rather than investing in the current buildings and update them.

I know you didnt knock the staff - and im not ranting back, well kind of but not at Sean - its time we took pride in our NHS and make the Government do something about it before its too late and we are all forced to take out Private Health Insurance - this upcoming election vote with your heart and put someone in power that could do something about this sorry state of affairs.

I do know what your talking and at first hand. I think what was said earlier about the emergency staff, they are the best of the best, and on the wards things change.

The reason i know is that only 7 years ago and i worked in a hospital, night shift in A&E. I was what you would call the silent ears. probably the best person to comment.

Every night i was in A&e, waiting room, cubicles, majors, minors, resus, behind the desk, the relatives room, and the room, if sadly someone did not make it. Staff room,

what did you do you might ask, i was a cleaner, so i was in every part of that department, talked to many people and families. every one says helo to a cleaner, as i used to offer and get the tea and coffe from the machine, while they waited for news of there family member or friend. As a cleaner, you go in all areas, and you listen, no one takes any notice of you. and like was said, ive also seen it all, as a cleaner your not allowed to clean bodily fluids. I used to do it to help the staff. and got a high rating a praise for it. as my performance was monitored regulary. so what they have to put up with. is sometimes beyond belief.

In the whole, i think we have an outstanding NHS service. ok we wait a little longer than we have. Thats down to budgets.

We just had a bad experience

but wife is not to bad, abit sore, would have been home today, but cant keep any food down at the minute, but should be home with me and our loved cat Princess tomorrow

sean44mc

This Thread is now closed for comments