Do you have a smart TV?

By : Forum Member
Published 9th June 2014 |
Read latest comment - 17th June 2014

Experts are warning that smart TV's could be subject to hijacking by burying code into the signals it receives. Full story ...

BBC News - Smart TVs subverted by radio attack

Isnt it better sometimes not to report things and not give airtime to the hackers? Not sure what you can do to protect yourself if you do have a smart TV or if it is solely down to the broadcasters to ensure such an attack cant take place?

Either way still think far too much information is given away under the guise of "public interest"

Clive
Comments

Great, sat looking at my new telly 

Now what, antivirus for Tellies?? No doubt another way to get a few more quid out of us...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I read thebbc report and if i understand rightly then anyone could be affected and theres not much you can do about it apart from dont use any social media or online banking.

Shakester

Seems as fast as new technology is invented some bright spark works out how to hack it !

Can see the system going backwards and things like online banking could decline forcing us to go back to the deserted High Streets .

Clive

I've decided not to invest in a smart television until the current one which I purchased around 7 years ago goes bang, which may be some time off yet as the one we have is probably used for no more than 2 hours a week if that......

Thanks,
Barney

Have to admit, completely love our Smart TV. Replaced the previous 7 old telly, which has plenty of life in it, so gave it to the Mother in Law. The Smart functionality is a 1000 times better than the previous BT connected box, and although we're not big TV watchers, what we do watch tends to be streamed from catchup services like iPlayer, or watch a film from Amazon Prime (formerly Love Film) which costs £6 a month.

The kids love having You Tube on the telly, although if I have to watch the theme song from Frozen once more I'll have a breakdown.

There is a full browser on the TV, but unless you have a keyboard, I don't see the point. I was tempted to login to Facebook for a laugh, but after reading this, shall stay clear of logging in any online accounts, and certainly wouldn't do any online banking on the telly!

The only compromise I can think of would be my Amazon account, so I guess that's one to watch, but theres (currently) no widespread panic of Amazon Prime accounts getting hacked, and goods ordered fraudulently. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments