Is Tom & Jerry a Racist Cartoon?

By : Forum Member
Published 1st October 2014 |
Read latest comment - 2nd October 2014

Well heard it all now. My absolute favourite show/cartoon as a child has been branded racist because of its portrayal of Thomas's owner being a "black maid"

Amazon place a warning message on its Prime Service and quoting from the BBC website - 

"Tom and Jerry shorts may depict some ethnic and racial prejudices that were once commonplace in American society. Such depictions were wrong then and are wrong today."

Talk about sucking the fun out of what is IMHO one of the best cartoon series ever created.

A further quote, sums up exactly the thoughts of many - 

The warning was attacked as "empty-headed" by cultural commentator and professor of sociology, Frank Furedi, who said it was a form of a "false piousness" and a type of censorship which "seems to be sweeping cultural life".

Nothing more to be said really - its pathetic 

Full story - BBC News

Clive
Comments

Maybe there should be a warning saying it is 'catist', the mouse starts all the trouble and the cat always gets the blame for it.

Maybe the 'black maid' should be accused of abuse for always whacking Tom over the head with a frying pan...

Thanks,
Kempres

Maybe there should be a warning saying it is 'catist', the mouse starts all the trouble and the cat always gets the blame for it.

Maybe the 'black maid' should be accused of abuse for always whacking Tom over the head with a frying pan...”

Now there's a whole different argument i hadn't even thought of ! 

Clive

Country has gone to the dogs or is that cats? How about stringing up lefty do gooders? Is that pc?

Shakester

I don't know whether to laugh or cry! You wonder what goes on in the minds of some of these people. My kids love Tom and Jerry, but I doubt it's shaping any racial stereotypes, or encouraging domestic violence by getting whacked with a frying pan. It's a cartoon about a cat and a mouse!

Whats next, big warnings on Military History books, "the following pages contain references to a naughty dictator."

Maybe I'll do a video about a one legged black lesbian blind Muslim heroin addict called Heather and her half Irish half Welsh dwarf step daughter, Gertrude. If nothing else it would be worth it to see what warning it got, and how many sensitive souls from the PC police keel over with heart failure.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments