Panorama and Edward Snowden - do we really need to know?

By : Administrator
Published 6th October 2015 |
Read latest comment - 10th October 2015

I'm in need of a rant...

Watched Panorama last night who interviewed Edward Snowden, the American National Security Agency whistleblower, who is currently hiding out in Russia.

Don't know if anyone else watched it, but all I was left with at the end is he has made the world a more dangerous place. Terrorist and cyber crime organisations now have a better understand of how information is obtained, and more importantly, how to defend against it.

I wasn't convinced with his justification for leaking all this classified information, that it's wrong for security agencies to bulk collect information, and work together sharing relevant data. Also the argument that the State could tap into your iphone and eavesdrop, was just scaremongering, and who cares? If MI5 want to listen to the missus telling me to go to Tescos on the way home, then so be it.

But if they have the opportunity to stealthily record a paedophile or a terrorist via their own smart phone and track them down, then that's fine in my book.

It's no doubt good news for the lawyers as lots of legislation is being pushed through to cripple the ability of the likes of GCHQ, the Police and international security agencies.

I always thought the point of espionage and security agencies was it was to be keep under lock and key, with the wrapper of democracy and laws to prevent any overt misuse of powers. Having laid it bare and open to legal and public scrutiny I think has made the world a little less secure and scored an own goal. 

Here's a great infographic from GCHQ that put's things into perspective when worrying about the State reading your shopping list.

source: GCHQ

I wonder if ISIS will be performing a review of their own security policies and data collection techniques, in-between beheading people...

Anyone else watch it or have any thoughts? Maybe I'm being a citizen sheep and just letting the state do what they want, or should we be analyzing and legalising what our security forces do?

Or do you agree that if you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to fear and let the security agencies get on with their job?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Didn't see this, but am aware do what he did and totally disagree with his actions.

I have long been a supporter of an ID card. I have nothing to hide.

Like Steve my phone conversations aren't that interesting between me, my kids and fiancee so if they can really listen in, well I'm sure they'd be bored.

I would much rather live in a place where these things and checks are carried out than worrying about my personal security.

The only people that will object to this IMHO will be those either ignorant of the dangers MI5 protect us from or have something to hide.

Clive

Was never a need for identity cards in the UK as everyone now has a means of being identified be that through council tax, bank details / cards, mobile phones you name it there is a means of tracing everyone. That's why when you see these cop shows where they stop someone, who then gives false details which comes back as a no trace the police know your lying. Everything is crossed referenced in the UK and there is no getting away from it, even if you decide not to go on the electoral register thinking you can hide, still wont help you to hide. You may believe you have freedom to do as you please, but the only freedom you have is what big bruv will allow you to have.... Wouldn't be surprised if someone at GCHQ spends their time lurking on this site for snippets of information....

Thanks,
Barney

changing the subject ,but are any of you watching "Hunted" on a Thursday I think, people go on the run and are hunted by teams of pro's ... They certainly find out who you are and where you are going extremely quickly.

Although I still think they should bring out the ID card as like it's said it is only the people who are hiding something need worry..We have them in South Africa and they do actually serve a purpose 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Wouldn't be surprised if someone at GCHQ spends their time lurking on this site for snippets of information....”

Broadsword calling Danny boy over.....

Rebecca is a leftie so needs close scrutiny, Barney has too many cats, so obviously suspicious. Andy C is South African so clearly dodgy and I did see Clive him downloading the Nuclear bomb for dummies guide and has far too much fertiliser for the size of garden 

Must be a GCHQ trigger word in there somewhere?

As for Snowden, he will either spend a nervous existence looking over his shoulder, or I suspect he will eventually crack from the pressure and voluntarily turn himself in.

Favourite bit of the Panorama interview.

"have your legal team heard anything back from the American authorities?"

"yes, they have promised not to torture me!"

Well I suppose it's a starting place 

Steve Richardson

changing the subject ,but are any of you watching "Hunted" on a Thursday I think, people go on the run and are hunted by teams of pro's ... They certainly find out who you are and where you are going extremely quickly.”

As long as they're not riding horses and blowing silly trumpets 

Steve Richardson

Enemy of the State is one of my favourite films and so I am a bit too paranoid about it all. #conspiracytheorist 

This Thread is now closed for comments