Have Tattoos become trendy for girls?

By : Administrator
Published 6th September 2013 |
Read latest comment - 5th June 2014

I don't know if I'm showing my age, being sexist, old fashioned or just getting naturally grumpy as I get older... But is it me or are younger girls these days obsessed with tattoos?

pic credit joe-ks.com

I don't mean the little red devil on the shoulder, but big tattoos on the top of the arms.

Been completely hypocritical and having tattoos on my arms, (which I still like) I've always found it odd seeing girls with big tattoos, and something you didn't see often. The Spice girls introduced the "band" which became popular, and you see plenty of faded bands on some 40+'s when you go shopping

But the craze at the moment seems to be with big tattoos on young girls, ie late teens early 20's, and I wonder if they will regret it in later years? It seemed to be piercings was all the rage a few years ago, but judging by younger family members and friends, this has been superseded? Even at nursery the kids are obsessed with the temp tattoos.

I only hope the fad is something less permanent when my girls are older

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

HERE

Source: l2.yimg.com

Thanks,
fourth-monkey

Oh my gawd.... her father must be so proud

Steve Richardson

I totally agree with you, Steve. It's not a good look now, so it certainly won't be attractive when they are in their old peoples' homes.

I take it the pic is of Cheryl Cole (?) That won't look too pretty when it's all saggy and wrinkly either. I heard that her Mum wasn't too impressed, and asked her why she'd done it. Strange that Mum wasn't too bothered when she punched a toilet attendant in the eye!

Holborn Direct Mail
020 8683 7155

I got my first and last tattoo at the tender age of 12 Misspent youth, peer pressure and I guess wanting to be part of the 'gang' that was in 1974 and I've hated it ever since. It was painted on using Indian ink and a chewed up matchstick and imbedded using a grandma's sewing needles, why I had it done god only knows as it was sheer agony having it done. I certainly wouldn't recommend it
As for the modern day craze for getting them done by girls, my sister has had them done as well as her daughters, I cant help but dislike them, especially on women. On men I suppose they give the impression of men being 'macho' on women however the impression is somewhat different with remarks like 'tramp stamps' being banded around. I'm pretty sure that if Cheryl Cole had a tattoo done on her face, within a few weeks young girls would follow suit.
The main problem with tattoo's is, sooner or later we all get older, wrinkly and our skin thins and sags. I can't think of anything more horrific than seeing women in their 70s 80s & 90s strolling around on a beach somewhere with their tattoo's on show...
The one thing it does prove, is that a so called 'pop star' can have a huge influence on the little 'lemmings' that follow them...

Thanks,
Barney

Im not a prude, but actually dont have any ink on my body, but have wanted one for 25+ years - 2 things stop me 1) i have no idea what to have 2) i hate needles & pain!

Well i've seen another thing that just make you ask the question - Why?

Tattoo Make up for brides.

Personally i dont like tattoos on woman, but i have no issues with dating someone with a nice discreet "symbol" about her person. The ones i dont really like are the big ones on shoulders or writing up & around arms etc, but it seems that on your wedding day the bride suddenly feels conscious about said obtrusive inking.

So you can now buy tattoo covering make-up to cover the monstrosity that you thought was cool when you where p****d and out with a group of friends.

Wonder how many "tats" are done due to peer pressure rather than ones own choice, and if as high as i suspect, well ive just answered my own question!

Clive

Apart from choking on your coffee, how would you feel if your daughters brought this gentleman home and said, "dad we wanna get married"

Thanks,
Barney

erm... 999 "Is that the Police?"

Think it's time to start saving up for the Swiss Finishing School for young ladies...

Steve Richardson

Hmmmm, how to answer this without making myself sound like a biker...chick... thing...

I have tattoos, I have more than one tattoo, (about 4 actually), and each one actually means something to me. Either my favorite flower, or My Chinese Zodiac etc. Only they aren't in your face, except when I wear a shirt that's kinda strappy at the shoulders? (not sure how to explain the spider...)

I would probably have more if I had the time to actually get into town to were the artist is I usually go to. Swiss finishing school won't really help much, I was in a convent for a lot of my formative years, with my mum being Roman Catholic

I'd say though, IMHO that there is such a thing as going too far? And that if you're going to plan to get one, do it when you're sober and make sure it has meaning for you. You're going to carry it with you for the rest of your life (or until surgery), so make it worth it.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

so make it worth it.”

Well my first was aged 16, as I left the house to go to school my mother told me again that hell would freeze over before she would ever give me permission to have a tattoo. I argued my dad had a Yorkshire rose on his arm, she replied he had been in the army and obviously an idiot....

i returned home home that evening, late and fearful of mums reaction....she chased me around the house and my dad never lifted his head out of the Bradford telegraph & Argos. I now had a large eagle on my arm. The tattoo was poor quality and if I am honest I don't like it (and never did). 

34 years later my kids clubbed together and paid for me to a have a good quality, proffessionals job done. That tatto is high on my right arm and is not seen that often, but I do love it..!

should girls have tattoo's? I want to say yes, why not? But the old git in me screams no, I associate tattoos as being quite masculine. I know that's wrong and I have seen some amazing tattoos on girls, but I just think they need to be small, feminine and in good taste. 

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

This Thread is now closed for comments