And to Finish this Month of Nicely.......

By : Forum Member
Published 31st July 2015 |
Read latest comment - 6th April 2016

Two days ago, fitted a brand new boiler for a letting agency, just finishing the job around 6pm, switched the boiler on for the first time..... Bang, boiler explodes, boiler casing smashes into my face, breaks my nose and fractures an eye socket, lost three teeth and the force of the blast sent me from one side of the kitchen to the other.....

Although the letting agency were aware of what has happened, I decided to keep the whole thing low key as far as HSE and Gas Safe are concerned I've spent the last 2 days racking my brains about what I could have done wrong.... I couldn't come to any satisfactory conclusion that I did anything wrong, even if I had fitted it upside down and back to front, what happened should never have happened, as today's modern boilers have fail safe devices fitted that prevent incidents like this. Anyway decided to call the manufacturers this morning to try and get my head around it all.... Without them even seeing it, they've sent a free replacement boiler and have taken full responsibility for the accident......  Going to do the euro millions again tonight..haha

Thanks,
Barney
Comments

Holy moley! You are having a time of it!!! I hope you're okay? That sounds REALLY nasty! YIKES! 

gees you are really having a bad time of it all. I don't know much about boilers but that should never have happened ... You just lucky it didn't kill you as it pretty much sounds like it could have

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

In fact, unbeliveable.   Let's see the black eye and bent nose!     Only kidding, hope you're feeling well soon...  and that the free replacement boiler calms the nerves. 

This is before it really swelled up The funny thing was earlier in the day  I see saw a passer by who looked rather similar, and thought I bet they feel stupid....

Thanks,
Barney

shees you are very lucky ,a centimetre either way and it would be a different story 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Ouch!! 

Jesus Christ Barney! What did you do to someone in a former life????  

I'd maybe take a break for the rest of 2015, stay away from vans, garages and boilers!

You really should consider writing a book, we've probably got enough text over the years already, we could publish it for you  

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Jesus Christ Barney! What did you do to someone in a former life????  

I'd maybe take a break for the rest of 2015, stay away from vans, garages and boilers!

You really should consider writing a book, we've probably got enough text over the years already, we could publish it for you  ”

I'll edit and proofread it for you 

I hope the swelling is going down.

Well here's the photo of the boiler that blew up. Speaking to someone on Saturday about it, told me that I legally have write a RIDDOR report to the HSE, if not I can be prosecuted. Checked the HSE website and sure enough I can..... So more paperwork...

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments