I need a hearing check.....

By : Forum Member
Published 29th September 2016 |
Read latest comment - 7th October 2016

Well I thought I did this morning with one of the items on Sky News.

A survey of women has found that they want certain words or phrases banned from use because they are patronising and derogatory.  Among the "culprits" are high maintenance, babe, honey, hormonal.  

Okay, some words are used in an unflattering way but does no-one understand context anymore? Unfortunately, women have been encouraged to react en-masse rather than thinking of the situation in which such words are used.  A large chunk of my working life was spent in manufacturing and I heard these words and worse nearly every day.  It came with the territory!

JuliaP
Comments

I live in Essex, But I don't come from Essex and there is nothing worse than standing in a supermarket checkout queue and hearing people calling their partners 'babe'.....

Thanks,
Barney

Quite often refer to the better half as "babe" or "sweetheart" but never mean it in a bad way or sexist, i actually mean it in a romantic nice way 

I was in a restaurant the other night and the waitress called me "my darling", now that i took offensively - over the top and down right rude !

Clive

Yet another sad example of the nanny state we live in. Context has now been filed away with common sense, only to be used by someone with a City and Guilds in Political Correctness.

I tend to fine hormonal is quite a good one to use if I'm losing an argument with the wife. Always gets the desired reaction 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

lol .. I don't easily get offended and don't mind what people call me ..I've been called all sorts of things and it's fine as long as they talking to me ...Mind you I'm just happy someone talks to me lol

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

lol .. I don't easily get offended and don't mind what people call me ..I've been called all sorts of things and it's fine as long as they talking to me ...Mind you I'm just happy someone talks to me lol”

Thats just opening the flood gates for abuse !!! 

However ..... i will be good 

Clive

Hmmm this is really quite ridiculous. Often people use words like babe out of habit and I can't think that it's meant negatively very often!! People need to lighten up. Everyone is so busy being offended these days, it's a wonder they ever achieve anything. If someone starts calling me hormonal then they are taking their life into their hands, I can fight my own battles I don't need the nanny state to do it for me!

Just realised I omitted something from my original post.

The person being interviewed about this was Katie Piper.  I will be very careful with expressing my opinion.  I do admire her for overcoming her injuries and living a relatively normal life (the context here is getting married, having a child, etc).  What disappoints me is that she has decided, for whatever reason, to add her voice to this campaign.

If women want to change perception, not only by males but also other women, then it should be done in a meaningful way with sensible expectations.  That will earn them far more respect than taking offence.

JuliaP

You do have to admire her for the horrific injuries she suffered and the way she has conducted herself since can only stated as heartfelt courage.

But, Julia you are right and she needs to be slightly criticised for adding unnecessary critique. Why do people in the public eye feel the need to jump on the bandwagon?

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments