Social Networking for Business - is it worth it?

By sjr4x4 : Administrator
Published 14th March 2011 | Last comment 9th May 2013
Comments
If I was on the market for a new product, and I was looking around the net to build a list of companies that had similar products, yes, I look at the ones that come up first, but after that I look at a lot of other things.

1. Have I heard of them before? if not, I go to their social networks to check them out. If I go to their facebook/twitter page and see nothing but promo, its off to the next name on my list. simple. The one thing I like is when there is a team of people promoting the same product, but as a team and that they take time to talk to you and help you out if you have questions, problems etc. Not all this buy it now and we'll sort the problems out later. Business doesn't work like that for me.

2. What does their site say to me. I am an internet marketer, I may not be one of the seomoz gurus, but I know my way around, and if your site is overloaded with low quality content that is just linked and has keywords bolded, underlined and all other forms of fanciness attached to it, I am outta there, and wouldn't give their social networks the time of day. It will all be the same rehash in any case.

3. Interaction. There has to be a lot of that. Not only on the website (with or without a forum), but their networks as well. If I can see that their bottom line is money and not their clients, I move on to someone else.

It honestly annoys me when a person asks if a social network is good for seo. That's not why they were created, so why abuse them and muddy the water when others are trying to communicate with their client base by posting link after link. If you get a new follower on twitter, don't bombard them with promo pm's. Its a put off and puts your company in a bad light with that customer. The best way I can think of to use social networking is the way it was intended to be. Take time to talk to the people you follow. Help them and give them advice, little snippets of useful information.

Social networking can be perfect for business. If you make sure that the people you follow are in your target audience, and that you treat them the way you would like to be treated. Showcase your product, give them useful information or tips and tricks that the product can be used with, be open, honest and approachable. If you build your brand around that, its will be what clients remember you and your products for and that will be your biggest selling point, because that is what clients will tell their friends and family (or anyone else) that are looking for a similar product.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

Personally, I find social networking websites to be beneficial to my business. I don’t spend all day on them, but I do pop on once a day (normally after I check my e-mails) and do what I need to do on them. I have seen some people abuse social networking sites though, posting constantly.

Thanks,
longlivemedia

I think social media network really helps the online business, because it can spread the work and see it by everyone whom soon to be your potential client. It will be convenient for everyone who has an online business since the transactions and negotiations is online.

lemuelmayers

Hello Members,

Social Networking can be used as another method of promoting and marketing your business.

What type of business are you in and where are your customers? Start with Linkedin (professional), Facebook and Twitter and make sure they are linked together (no pun intended).

Do not mix social with business because you will lose credibility.

Andrew

andrewtomkinson

forum avatarRachaelJetkins
24th September 2012 12:20 PM
Social networking websites are great in terms of increasing the traffic to the website. However in order to get benefits, it is important to maintain a good presence on the social networking websites.

RachaelJetkins

You have to create business profile pages in social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Myspace, Linkedin etc. Then try to increase the numbers of fans or followers there. You can start social media marketing in this way. You will be able to promote your product swiftly there.

matinrtez11

You should try to get likes and follows for your fan page.

robertadico

You should try to get likes and follows for your fan page.

True, does that mean you think social networking fits the bill?

Thanks,
Dreamraven

I'm totally agreed with lewiskelly. We have to use social network but in proper manner....

What would you say is the proper manner?

Thanks,
Dreamraven

Because today social networks are also very active in such concern, they can ban your profile and can add your link to spam list

and so do forums!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments