Election 2015 - so what do you think of it so far?

By sjr4x4 : Administrator
Published 9th April 2015 | Last comment 8th May 2015
Comments

Couple of great posts Barney, and pretty much agree with you other than UKIP. I just can't take them seriously. Nigel is pretty good, but he is surrounded by idiots. But they have made the likes of Europe and immigration key agenda points for all the parties, which is a good thing.

SNP wise, I was only being tongue in cheek when I started this thread...

has the SNP taken over as the 3rd party in UK politics? Where are the Libs?”

Now all of a sudden it looks like it could be a reality, with a genuine possibility of a hung parliament with the SNP in power in Westminster 

Tory talk of selling off more local authority housing stock make me want to weep and at this rate their will be no brass left in the cupboard, let alone silver or gold

I'd put money on the fact that if Ed loses the election, we'll very quickly see a new leader. Maybe Ed Balls for no other reason than I love his name

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

SNPs primary responsibility is to Scotland & to Scottish interests.

And that's the problem, you cannot have a political party that wants independence from the UK, running the UK, it makes no sense. If she does get in, the whole country will be in turmoil for years to come. The problem with the SNP is they want everything for nothing, but at the expense of the UK. I think more people will end up voting Conservative to keep the SNP out, if the SNP get in the independence vote will be back on the agenda...

Thanks,
Barney

Turns out Nigel was right though, with the BBC admitting it was a picked 70% Left Wing audience and Farage now being given his own slot, his own Q&A, on the same night and the same time the other 3 are doing Question Time.

So the big debate last night, minus the PM and Nick Clegg.

Gutsy move by Cameron or election suicide?

Nigel seems to be losing the plot ranting about a BBC picked left wing audience, an dis it me, or Milliband starting to emulate and sound like Blair?

Do wonder if Sturgeon has a secret dream to run for a leadership contest for the Labour party

Thanks,
Kempres

Turns out Nigel was right though, with the BBC admitting it was a picked 70% Left Wing audience and Farage now being given his own slot, his own Q&A, on the same night and the same time the other 3 are doing Question Time.

”

What reference are you using? Couldn't find anything that actually says the BBC admitted it?

It's interesting how the spin moves from left and right depending which paper you read relating to BBC bias. Mail made me smile pointing to "left wing populism" as Miliband, Sturgeon, Wood (Plaid Cymru) and Bennet (Greens) had a stage huddle, leaving our man Nigel out in the cold.

Do agree though with the comment: "I doubt I am alone in finding this election campaign one of the most disheartening in living memory. All the parties are locked in a demeaning bidding war, promising endless impossible goodies in return for our votes."

Beware this very sinister brand of Left-wing populism - Daily mail

I think it's good that Farage will have a Q&A session, although only aired in England while Sturgeon will have the same slot, but only in Scotland. 

Steve Richardson

Any bets on what the polls will do in the next week or so?

Betting wise I'm thinking it will be the same as now, a Tory led coalition with the liberals. I can't see any outright winner. Maybe the Liberal influence is a good checks and balance to some of the Tory headstrong policies.

I almost wish I was Scottish and could join in some of that nationalistic passion that seems to be fermenting away. Our alternative, Farage seems a bit watered down in comparison.

Steve Richardson

Seeing the support for UKIP fills me dread.  I really hope people vote to keep them out.  That's probably what I'll do,  which means voting labour in Coventry.  

I could never vote Tory as they're out to make the rich richer and screwing over the poor and disabled (the cuts are coming left, right and centre at the moment! ) Lib dems are a waste of time now. 

Labour aren't hugely better but I'm hoping they can save the nhs. It's unlikely though,  I admit.  

They're really all quite intolerable but Farage makes my skin crawl!  Along with the Daily Fail and it's nonsense.  

I think trident should be scaled down hugely and foreign aid should remain at least what it is now. Not popular views but for me it's all about living in a better world,  not just getting what you can for yourself. 

Well that's my tuppence worth anyway! 

I think it will be Cameron & Clegg  (plus some others in an alliance?). Messy. 

My money is on the current coalition continuing. Can't see anyone getting a majority, and I don't think Miliband is in the running.

You watch, we will now have a Labour landslide 

Steve Richardson

I think Miliband, has been ridiculed by the press to much to even stand a chance. Having Ed Balls as vice chancellor isn't going to give much confidence to the British voter if he cannot manage his own finances and bounces cheques to traders. Should have sacked him a long time ago.

I think the door has been left wide open for Cameron and the Lib Dems will get through with a small margin as I think they will also be taking some punishment from their last manifesto. As I have said previously I don't think the coalition has done too much of a bad job and prefer not to have anyone party have total control. 

Thanks,
Barney

What do you think of the election so far???  Emotionally exhausting!  Polls almost but not quite static for weeks.

Personally I hope Miliband does get to be PM, with the SNP having sufficient MPs at Westminster to stop a Labour government drifting towards New Labour policies.  Unlike Barney, I think the Tories and Lib Dems under Clegg have been absolutely dreadful. 

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

What do you think of the election so far???  Emotionally exhausting!  Polls almost but not quite static for weeks. ”

Can't argue with that! Suns headline this morning made me chuckle, showed a graph with Labour and Tory level pegging and the headline "Well hung"

Main thing that has surprised me has been the lack of UKIP noise. Last year, locally we had UKIP supporters driving round in an old Fire Engine, flags and signs out etc. I was anticipating a UKIP storm of support. But locally at least, and from what I've seen on the Telly, UKIP seemed to have faded away, or have past their media zenith? Seen lots of Blue, Yellow and Red signs in peoples gardens and windows, but not a single UKIP one?

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments